Saturday 28 June 2014

One week to go!

The matrix of control points came out last week and it took until this Wednesday to settle on a route. The reason it took a while was I was trying to put together a route that would allow me to fall back from a Gold route (500mile min) to a Silver  (400mile min) to a Bronze (300mile min). I'd also printed out a relief map of the UK and was constraining myself to the flattest areas possible, all important when you have a maximum of 5bhp on tap!
Credit for the final route goes to my wife though. As patient and supportive as ever she stayed up one night after I'd given up and came up with the best route possible.
I'm now drawing up route cards for the journey between each control. I'll laminate these and use my extremely unaerodynamic clipboard to view them whilst riding. To assist at night I've bought a book light which will be firmly secured to the bars.

I had a practice run out to the first control this morning and averaged 32mph. So a Gold may be possible, even if it is not probable. I'll have to see what the true distance of my route is when I've finished planning it. That's the aim for this weekend, finish the route and print out all the route cards.

Finally, I'll be updating the blog through the rally so you'll be able to track my progress. Give me a follow here, or on Twitter (@duleyp) to keep upto date.

If you've sponsored me already then thank you, it is appreciated. If not then you can use the link on this page 'Sponsor Me'. Every donation counts no matter what the size.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment